Advantages and Innovations
The SME manufactures unique fiber reinforcement for high performance applications in composites : the production of this volcanic rock filaments is unique thanks to a genuine and innovative treatment of the raw material, basalt, which is enriched with various mineral additives to increase and guarantee its original mechanical, thermal and chemical properties.
The product has very interesting properties for any application:
- A tensile strength closed to carbon fibres (CF) allowing to handle very important pressure
- A very high resistance to fatigue problem and high impact resistance thanks to 2 times better elongation vs CF
- A very good wettability and infusion by organic matrices for many kind of resins as you can see in the global presentation
- No-bimetallic (galvanic) corrosion risks from contact with aluminium or any steel-alloys at the junctions
- Regarding the thermal properties, it gives:
- A transition temperature where there is any shrinkage to 740°C
- A softening point to 950°C
- A linear coefficient of thermal expansion 20°C (ASTM D696): 3.72 * 10-6 /°C
- A heat capacity to 0.86 J/g.K
- No smoke or ash dissipation
The Fibers are fully recyclable (pyrolysis process).
The SME respects the environmental directives listed in the REACH legislation. Each chemical substance produced in/or imported into Europe must be registered, evaluated and controlled. The fibres only contain registered substances, conforming to the legislation.